Sumter Fire Department units fought two separate mobile home fires on Thursday that displaced families in each, including one family of five whose residence was destroyed.
Fire was showing from outside the structure on Reedroman Road in east …
This item is available in full to subscribers
Click here to log in
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
If you aren't yet a subscriber,
click here to start a new subscription.
You also have the option of purchasing 24 hours of website access, for just 99 cents. *
Click here to continue.
* Full access is available from time of purchase through 11:59pm the following day
Fire was showing from outside the structure on Reedroman Road in east Sumter when crews arrived to the alarm just before 11:30 a.m. Dec. 28, according to an incident report.
A cause of the blaze could not be immediately determined, but it began in the master bedroom, firefighters reported. The American Red Cross sent disaster-trained volunteers to help the three adults and two children with food, clothing, lodging and other essentials and comfort kits that typically include personal hygiene items.
It was reported the family incurred $30,000 in structural loss and $20,000 in loss to contents inside the home. Nothing was salvaged.
Later on Thursday, the fire department responded to a mobile home on Havenwood Drive off U.S. 15 South for another fire. When crews arrived about 6:20 p.m., they found a fire had started in and under the dryer, which they extinguished before removing the dryer and opening the floor to check for further hot spots, according to a report. While this structure was not destroyed, the family of six - four adults and two children - were displaced and reported $20,000 in losses, including $5,000 worth of contents. They were able to salvage $10,000 worth of contents, the report said. The Red Cross also responded to the second blaze.
Each year around the holidays, the Red Cross and partners see an uptick in the number of home fires, especially when residents use space heaters and candles and use Christmas trees.
More Articles to Read