Ben Lippen smokes Wilson Hall


COLUMBIA - Friday's game against Ben Lippen did not go well for the Wilson Hall football team, right from the opening kickoff.

Running back Brandon Carraway went down with an injury just after the opening gun. A few plays later, running back Justin Timmons also went down. Both players were out for the rest of the game.

"We came over here with the right frame of mind, but we lose Carraway," said Wilson Hall head coach Adam Jarecki, whose team dropped to 5-4 on the year and 3-4 in SCISA Region 3A. "That's our fullback. That's our leader. And then a few plays later, we lose our senior tailback, our leading rusher for three years. So it got a little tough there."

Meanwhile, the Falcons offense played lights out, running up a 42-0 lead at the half and closing out a running-clock second half to earn a 49-14 victory over the Barons.

The Barons came into the game banged up. Offensive lineman Greyson Sontag was out with a concussion, running back Andrew McCaffrey was out with a knee injury. While quarterback Jacob Cotton returned to the lineup, his offensive options were limited.

"We got to the point that we just ran out of kids," Jarecki said. "But I've got to hand it to them, we got down big in the second half, but the guys kept going. That says a lot."

In just the first half of action, Kyle Wright had four long touchdown runs and 155 yards on eight carries to lead Ben Lippen.

The Falcons (7-2, 6-1) rolled up 407 total yards in the first half. With Wright running free, they had 22 rushes for 253 yards. Quarterback Trad Beatty was 10-of-12 in passing for 154 yards.

Wilson Hall had just 66 total first-half yards.

Wilson Hall took the opening kickoff and drove 22 yards before having to punt.

From that point, Ben Lippen moved fast.

Javian Bellamy scored on the Falcons' first possession, on a 63-yard run. Ben Lippen took a 14-0 lead on Wright's first TD run, a 28-yarder at the 3:55 mark of the first quarter.

Wright scored on a 10-yard touchdown run early in the second quarter. Then at the 8:13 mark of the second, Bellamy pulled in a 5-yard Trad Beatty TD pass that put the Falcons up 28-0.

Wright's last two runs of the half, a 31-yarder with 3:09 left and a 59-yarder at the 37-second mark, gave Ben Lippen a 42-0 halftime lead.

With the clock running in the second half, Wilson Hall finally got on the scoreboard.

Graham Van Patten caught a 36-yard pass from Landon Van Patten with 3:23 left in the third.

Ben Lippen's backups responded with a long scoring drive capped with Will Taylor's 3-yard TD run at the 11:08 mark of the fourth.

Nathan Harris, who led the Barons with 15 carries for 76 yards, scored on a 2-yard run with 2:32 left in the game.

The best the Barons can do is put the loss behind them and look to next week, Jarecki said.

"A lot of youth was out on the field, and they did well," Jarecki said. "We've just got to regroup and figure out who we've got for next week and get ready for Laurence Manning."