By Kevin McDonough
OK, here's a weird one. Set in the 1930s, "Damnation" (10 p.m., USA, TV-MA) stars Killian Scott as Seth Davenport. He claims to be an itinerant preacher, but the gospel he delivers is one of class consciousness, strikes and worker solidarity.
Just arrived in Iowa in the depths of the Great Depression, Davenport tries to organize a farmers' strike, a blockade of crop delivery to greedy merchants under the thumb of a particularly unctuous banker. He has no idea that the powers-that-be have sent a violent strike breaker named Creeley Turner (Logan Marshall-Green, "Quarry") to stop him and his "Bolshevik" movement. It's not giving too much away to reveal that much violence ensues. Or that both men share a common past.
Featuring the fast pace and open skies of a traditional Western, "Damnation" may appeal to some "Mr. Robot" fans who have interest in a struggle against "the man" set in a pre-digital era. "Damnation" suffers from a slightly over-the-top atmosphere that gives it a comic book feel. Perhaps that's intentional.
• The "30 for 30" (10 p.m., ESPN) documentary "Nature Boy" profiles WWE personality Ric Flair, considered by some to be the greatest professional wrestler of all time. Interviews include Hulk Hogan, Shawn Michaels, Ricky Steamboat, Sting, Triple H, The Undertaker, Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard.
TONIGHT'S OTHER HIGHLIGHTS
• Kelly Clarkson advises talent on "The Voice" (8 p.m., NBC, TV-PG).
• "Finding Your Roots" (8 p.m., PBS, TV-PG, check local listings) shares stories of slavery, the Civil War and mixed European and African origins with Bryant Gumbel, Tonya Lewis-Lee and Suzanne Malveaux.
• Cheaters (almost) never prosper on "Bull" (9 p.m., CBS, TV-14).
• Kevin visits Sophie in New York on "This Is Us" (9 p.m., NBC, TV-14).
• The ongoing mystery "The Curse of Oak Island" (9 p.m., History, TV-PG) returns for season five.
• The two-part documentary history "Rolling Stone: Stories From the Edge" (9 p.m., HBO, TV-MA) concludes.
• "The Long Road Home" (9 p.m., National Geographic, TV-MA) recalls soldiers involved in a deadly firefight in Iraq in 2004.
• A crisis forces Patton to work with his ex on "NCIS: New Orleans" (10 p.m., CBS, TV-14).
• The judge faces public rebuke on "Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders" (10 p.m., NBC, TV-14).
• A desperate man needs a job on "Kevin (Probably) Saves the World" (10 p.m., ABC, TV-14).
• The 2016 documentary "Chicago: The Terry Kath Experience" (10 p.m., AXS) looks back at the origins of the popular jazz-influenced band.
Jeff Ross is booked on "The Daily Show With Trevor Noah" (11 p.m., Comedy Central) * Keegan-Michael Key and Jon Dore appear on "Conan" (11 p.m., TBS) * Jason Segel, Jeff Fager, Lesley Stahl and Mavis Staples are booked on "The Late Show With Stephen Colbert" (11:35 p.m., CBS) * Jimmy Fallon welcomes Will Ferrell and Sam Smith on "The Tonight Show" (11:35 p.m., NBC) * John Lithgow, Jonathan Groff, Michael Lewis and Nathan Davilmar visit "Late Night With Seth Meyers" (12:35 a.m., NBC) * Rainn Wilson and Jack Whitehall appear on "The Late Late Show With James Corden" (12:35 a.m., CBS).
TV on DVD
TV-themed DVDs available today include the romantic comedy series "The Good Karma Hospital," seen on Acorn.
© 2017, United Feature Syndicate