Two families suffered damage to their homes this week in Sumter when separate kitchen fires were called into the Sumter Fire Department.
A grease fire in an oven reportedly caused about $500 in damage to a home in the 400 block of Deschamps Road …
This item is available in full to subscribers
Click here to log in
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
If you aren't yet a subscriber,
click here to start a new subscription.
You also have the option of purchasing 24 hours of website access, for just 99 cents. *
Click here to continue.
* Full access is available from time of purchase through 11:59pm the following day
A grease fire in an oven reportedly caused about $500 in damage to a home in the 400 block of Deschamps Road off Patriot Parkway just after 5 p.m. on Monday according to an incident report.
American Red Cross disaster-trained volunteers assisted the family of three adults and two children in the aftermath, though the damage appeared to be contained to smoke in the house and a loss of the oven.
On Wednesday, firefighters responded to what was determined to be a kitchen fire that spread to the attic in the 1000 block of Kentwood Drive off McCrays Mill Road.
This blaze displaced two adults and one child, according to an incident report and the Red Cross, which is assisting the family with food, lodging, clothing and other personal hygiene items.
An alarm was received just before 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday.
There was no one home at the time of the fire.
Only one smoke detector was noticed inside the residence and was not working when units arrived on scene, according to the incident report.
There were no working smoke detectors in the Deschamps Road house.
More Articles to Read