Man jumps from window to avoid Sumter apartment fire


A man was airlifted to a hospital after he sustained second-degree burns to 30 percent of his body while escaping a kitchen fire Sunday afternoon in Sumter.

The fire started in the 30-year-old man's Highland Avenue apartment about 4 p.m., according to Sumter Fire Department Battalion Chief Joey Duggan.

The man jumped out of a window — sustaining cuts to his body — and fell about 6 feet to the ground, he said.

Duggan said emergency responders controlled the bleed and called for a helicopter to fly him out.

The man was most likely flown to Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Georgia, he said.

Fire investigators did not have a chance to speak to the man before he was flown out, but Duggan said it appears the fire started while he was cooking.

Firefighters had the blaze under control very quickly after arriving, he said, and approximately $15,000 in damage was caused to the apartment.

The man's apartment is attached to three other units, so the power was cut to the entire building while firefighters were putting out the flames, Duggan said.

The fire was contained to the apartment of origin, but the other apartments may have some smoke damage, he said.

American Red Cross volunteers were called to assist the other three tenants.

Duggan said the apartment units need to be inspected before the power can be turned back on.