Lee County firefighters battle 2 this week

Winter continues to cause fires in AC/heating units

Posted

Two fires in Lee County this week started inside an AC/heating unit, something fire officials say is common during cold winter months and something of which homeowners should remain aware.

Lee County Fire Department personnel responded to a house fire on Sabrina Lane in Bishopville on Sunday about 7:30 a.m., Fire Chief Mike Bedenbaugh said.

The blaze started inside the unit and caused smoke damage upstairs in the home, he said, but firefighters were able to contain it before the house sustained fire damage.

Another blaze was battled Wednesday morning about the same time, he said. This one, on Chambers Road in Manville, also appears to have started in the auxiliary heating unit about 7:30 a.m.

"It's common this time of year," Bedenbaugh said. "The heat strips do that, sometimes, unfortunately, when they're used for the first time in a while."

No injuries were reported in either fire, though Bedenbaugh said the family in the Bishopville blaze was displaced temporarily. The man living in Manville was not displaced.