The house of a family of six was damaged by fire Monday afternoon in Sumter.
Four adults and two children were displaced from the home on Brand Street off Fulton Street just south of downtown, according to the American Red Cross. Disaster-trained …
This item is available in full to subscribers
Click here to log in
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
If you aren't yet a subscriber,
click here to start a new subscription.
You also have the option of purchasing 24 hours of website access, for just 99 cents. *
Click here to continue.
* Full access is available from time of purchase through 11:59pm the following day
Four adults and two children were displaced from the home on Brand Street off Fulton Street just south of downtown, according to the American Red Cross. Disaster-trained volunteers from the agency are providing financial assistance to the residents for food, clothing, lodging and other essentials and comfort kits with personal hygiene items.
"Heavy smoke and fire" was showing when firefighters arrived to combat the blaze just after 12:30 p.m. Monday, according to a Sumter Fire Department incident report.
Where or how the fire started was not immediately known.
The 1,000-square-foot home sustained $35,000 in structural loss, and the family sustained loss to their belongings worth $5,000, according to the report. Nothing was reported saved.
"Each year around the holidays, the Red Cross and partners see an uptick in the number of home fires," the Red Cross reported in a news release. "It's also been shown that Christmas tree fires are much more likely to be deadly than other fires, and candle fires are four times as likely to occur."
The agency encourages families to check existing smoke alarms, practice fire drills at home and develop a fire escape plan and practice it several times a year at different times of the day.
More Articles to Read