This item is available in full to subscribers
Click here to log in
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
If you aren't yet a subscriber,
click here to start a new subscription.
Sumter High School will play host to Woodmont in the first round of the 5A football state playoffs on Friday at Memorial Stadium.
The Gamecocks are one of the three local teams who will be hosting home games on Friday, while six others will open on the road.
Sumter is 9-0, won the Region IV title and is ranked fifth in 5A in the most recent S.C. Prep Media Football Poll. Woodmont, which is located in Piedmont, is coached by former Thomas Sumter Academy standout and Wilson Hall head coach Jet Turner. The Wildcats are 6-4 and finished fourth in Region I.
If Sumter wins, it will play host to the winner of the Gaffney at Rock Hill contest in the second round.
Manning will be playing host to Cheraw at Ramsey Stadium in its 3A playoff opener. The Monarchs won the Region VII title on Friday with a 27-24 road victory over Bishop England. They are 6-3 overall, while Cheraw is 6-4 after finishing fourth in Region VI.
If Manning wins, it will play host to the winner of the Battery Creek at Strom Thurmond game in the second round.
Laurence Manning Academy will be playing host to Porter-Gaud in a quarterfinal game in the SCISA 3A playoffs. The Swampcats finished second in 3A and are 9-1. The Cyclones are 5-5 and finished seventh. LMA topped P-G 21-14 during the regular season.
If LMA wins, it will play host to the Ben Lippen at First Baptist contest in the semifinals.
Lakewood earned a berth in the 4A state playoffs and will travel to take on top-ranked and undefeated Myrtle Beach in the first round. The Gators are 4-6 and finished fourth in Region IV after beating Crestwood 20-7 on Friday. Myrtle Beach is 9-0 and is the Region VI champion.
The Lakewood-Myrtle Beach winner will take on the winner between North Augusta and North Myrtle Beach in the second round.
East Clarendon and Lee Central will both be on the road in the 2A playoffs as No. 3 seeds.
EC is 7-3 and will travel to Dorchester to take on 6-3 Woodland, the No. 2 team from Region V, while 5-5 Lee Central will travel to Greenville to take on 9-1 and Region I No. 2 St. Joseph's.
The winner between Woodland and East Clarendon will take on the Calhoun County-Johnsonville winner in the second round, while the Lee Central-St. Joe's winner will go up against the Gray Collegiate-Fox Creek winner in the second round.
Scott's Branch went just 2-8 during the regular season, but it is in the 1A playoffs. In an ironic twist, the Eagles will be going on the road to take on winless Hemingway, which is 0-10. Hemingway finished third in the 3-team Region VI, while Scott's Branch was fourth in Region V.
The winner of the game will meet Region V champion C.E. Murray, which received a first-round bye, in the second round.
Robert E. Lee Academy will be at Orangeburg Prep in a quarterfinal game in the SCISA 2A playoffs. The Cavaliers are 9-2 and finished third in Region I, while OP is 7-2 and finished second in Region II. The winner of the game will take on either Trinity-Byrnes or Northwood in the semifinals.
Clarendon Hall lost just once in the regular season, but it will be the No. 3 seed from Region II in the 8-man playoffs. The 8-1 Saints will travel to Moncks Corner to take on 8-1 St. John's Christian, the No. 2 team from Region I. CH finished in a 3-way tie with Richard Winn and Wardlaw for first, but earned the No. 3 seed via the SCISA points system.
The winner between Clarendon Hall and SJC will go up against either Richard Winn or Holly Hill in the semifinals.
Friday, Nov. 8
(AL) Blythewood at (1) Laurens
(3) Nation Ford at (2) Byrnes
(4) Woodmont at (1) Sumter
(3) Gaffney at (2) Rock Hill
(5) Greenwood at (1) Dorman
(3) Westside at (2) Spring Valley
(5) Boiling Springs at (1) Clover
(4) Mauldin at (2) T.L. Hanna
(AL) Chapin at (1) Dutch Fork
(3) Wando at (2) Conway
(3) Lexington at (1) Fort Dorchester
(3) West Florence at (2) Berkeley
(4) Cane Bay at (1) Carolina Forest
(3) West Ashley at (2) River Bluff
(4) South Florence at (1) Goose Creek
(3) Lugoff-Elgin at (2) Summerville
(AL) Palmetto at (1) Greenville
(4) York at (3) Belton-Honea Path
(4) Greer at (1) South Pointe
(3) Orangeburg-Wilkinson at (2) Wren
(AL) Lancaster at (1) Daniel
(3) Westwood at (2) Eastside
(4) Walhalla at (2) A.C. Flora
(3) Travelers Rest at (2) Ridge View
(AL) Marlboro County at (1) Lower Richland
(3) Colleton County at (2) Airport
(4) Lakewood at (1) Myrtle Beach
(4) North Myrtle Beach at (3) North Augusta
(3) Wilson at (2) Hilton Head Island
(4) South Aiken at (2) Hartsville
(4) Southside at (1) Pendleton
(3) Indian Land at (2) Woodruff
(4) Liberty at (1) Chapman
(3) Newberry at (2) Chester
(4) Fairfield Central at (1) Union County
(3) Chesnee at (2) Seneca
(4) Clinton at (1) Camden
(3) Powdersville at (2) Broome
(4) Cheraw at (1) Manning
(3) Battery Creek at (2) Strom Thurmond
(4) Georgetown at (1) Aynor
(3) Swansea at (2) May River
(4) Ridgeland-Hardeeville at (1) Gilbert
(3) Lake City at (2) Bishop England
(4) Edisto at (1) Wade Hampton (H)
(3) Waccamaw at (2) Dillon
(5) Ninety Six at Southside Christian
(4) Central at (2) Batesburg-Leesville
(3) C.A. Johnson at (1) Buford
(3) Blacksburg at (3) Saluda
(5) Lewisville at (1) Abbeville
(4) Christ Church at (2) Andrew Jackson
(4) Fox Creek at (1) Gray Collegiate
(3) Lee Central at (2) St. Joseph’s
(6) Latta at (1) Timberland (1)
(3) Bamberg-Ehrhardt at (2) Mullins
(4) Hannah-Pamplico at (1) Barnwell
(4) Eau Claire at (3) Burke(3)
(5) Johnsonville at (2) Calhoun County
(3) East Clarendon at (2) Woodland
(4) Oceanside Collegiate at (1) Andrews
(4) Whale Branch at Philip Simmons (2)
(3) Great Falls at (3) Ridge Spring-Monetta
(4) Dixie at (2) McBee
(4) Hunter-Kinard-Tyler at (3) Ware Shoals
(5) Williston-Elko at (2) McCormick
(3) Military Magnet at (3) Cross
(6) Denmark-Olar at (2) Lake View
(4) Scott’s Branch at (3) Hemingway
(5) Bethune-Bowman at (2) St. John’s
(8) Augusta Christian at (1) Hammond
(5) Cardinal Newman at (4) Heathwood Hall
(7) Porter-Gaud at (2) Laurence Manning
(6) Ben Lippen at (3) First Baptist
(4) Northwood at Trinity-Byrnes
(3) Robert E. Lee at (2) Orangeburg Prep
(4) Greenwood Christian at (1) Hilton Head Christian
(3) Hilton Head Prep at (2) Florence Christian
(4) Dorchester at (1) Pee Dee
(3) Dillon Christian at (2) Thomas Heyward
(4) The King’s Academy at (1) Bethesda Academy
(3) Colleton Prep at (2) Carolina
(4) Calhoun Academy at (1) Andrew Jackson Academy
(3) Palmetto Christian at (2) Wardlaw
(4) Holly Hill at (1) Richard Winn
(3) Clarendon Hall at (2) St. John’s Christian
More Articles to Read