A dryer vent fire damaged a mobile home in Dalzell on Monday, resulting in the American Red Cross, Sumter Fire Department and Shaw Air Force Base Fire Department responding to the scene.
An alarm was received at 8:20 a.m. for the …
This item is available in full to subscribers
Click here to log in
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
If you aren't yet a subscriber,
click here to start a new subscription.
You also have the option of purchasing 24 hours of website access, for just 99 cents. *
Click here to continue.
* Full access is available from time of purchase through 11:59pm the following day
An alarm was received at 8:20 a.m. for the 1,500-square-foot residence in the 5000 block of Shakemia Road, according to an incident report from Sumter Fire Department.
An investigation on scene revealed improper installation of the dryer vent coil piping was the cause of the fire, in which there were no reported injuries.
"The vent pipe was bunched in a pile behind the dryer, not allowing the dryer to properly vent heat," a firefighter wrote in the report.
The occupant reportedly told firefighters the dryer was used the night before. Because of the lack of oxygen, the fire smoldered inside the piping until it burned through, causing the wiring on the dryer to burn and "spread up to clothes on top of the dryer. Fire spread through the laundry room and out an exterior door," the report said.
A working smoke detector alarmed the occupant. Damage was valued at $10,000 to the structure and $5,000 to contents. An estimated $30,000 to the structure and $15,000 to contents were salvaged.
Red Cross volunteers responded to the scene to help the two adults and three children living there with financial assistance for food, clothing, lodging and other essentials such as comfort kits containing personal hygiene items.
More Articles to Read