A family of six, including three children, is receiving assistance from American Red Cross after the Bagnal Drive home they rent from Santee-Lynches Affordable Housing was damaged during an electrical fire Sunday afternoon.
The call came in at …
This item is available in full to subscribers
Click here to log in
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
If you aren't yet a subscriber,
click here to start a new subscription.
You also have the option of purchasing 24 hours of website access, for just 99 cents. *
Click here to continue.
* Full access is available from time of purchase through 11:59pm the following day
The call came in at 3:45 p.m., and firefighters arrived on scene at 3:51 p.m. to see smoke coming from a window air-conditioning unit, according to an incident report.
Firefighters found heavy smoke inside the residence after forcing their way inside the 1,000-square-foot structure and located flames inside a bedroom near the front of the house.
The fire - caused by faulty electrical wiring - was confined to the bedroom, according to the report. Approximately $3,000 in damage was caused to the single-family residence, and about $1,000 in contents were lost. An estimated $115,000 of the structure was saved along with $5,000 in contents.
Santee-Lynches Affordable Housing rents homes at affordable rates to low- to moderate-income families in 15 counties including Sumter, said Karen Smith, vice president of the nonprofit.
There was no significant damage to the house, she said. The portions of the house that were damaged by fire and smoke will be fixed and cleaned, she said.
More Articles to Read