Sumter family displaced after unattended cooking fire


Two adults and one child are displaced from their Gion Street apartment after a fire - caused by an unattended pot on the stove - broke out about 1:50 p.m. on Monday.

American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the family - a grandmother, her adult daughter and her young grandchild, Sumter Fire Department Battalion Chief Joey Duggan said. No injuries were reported.

The daughter and grandchild were home when the fire started, he said.

Duggan said about $40,000 in damage was caused during the fire - approximately $30,000 in damage was caused to the apartment, and $10,000 in contents were lost. The neighboring apartments, valued at $300,000 collectively, were not damaged, he said.

Four fire stations and 20 firefighters responded to the blaze, which took about 10 minutes to get under control, he said.

Unattended cooking is a big cause of accidental fires, Duggan said, so people need to be mindful and avoid distractions while they are in the kitchen.