Sumter man severely burned when cigarette ignites clothes


A 60-year-old man suffered burns to all of his lower extremities Wednesday when his clothing caught fire from a lit cigarette.

The man was sitting on a swing outside a home on Gamble Street off East Red Bay Road about 3 p.m. when he reportedly fell asleep, and his cigarette fell onto his pants, according to Sumter Fire Department Division Chief Joey Duggan.

The man was flown by medical helicopter to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Georgia.