A fire that was contained to one bedroom in a South Guignard Drive home Tuesday morning burned one person but did not require a trip to the hospital.
The woman was treated and released on scene, …
This item is available in full to subscribers
Click here to log in
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
If you aren't yet a subscriber,
click here to start a new subscription.
The woman was treated and released on scene, according to Sumter Fire Department Division Chief Joey Duggan. A cause of the blaze, for which a call came in at 7:55 a.m., is undetermined but not deemed suspicious.
When firefighters arrived on scene to the 100 block of South Guignard Drive five minutes later, smoke was showing from the back of the single-family home.
The incident report states the woman told firefighters she was cleaning the home from the previous tenant to prepare to move in and that a candle started the fire in the bedroom. She was treated for a cut to her feet and a burn on her right leg.
The fire caused an estimated $1,000 in damage each to the home and contents.
Duggan said the possibility of the candle starting the fire was not confirmed. No remnants of it were found.
Three stations - Headquarters, Alice Drive and Stadium Road - responded, including three engines, a ladder truck, rescue unit and battalion chief, totaling about 25 personnel.
American Red Cross disaster-trained volunteers also responded to help what the organization said was two adults who live there with financial assistance for food, clothing, lodging and other essentials like comfort kits with personal hygiene items.
More Articles to Read