Man charged after 1-year-old suffers burns



A Sumter man was arrested Tuesday and charged with unlawful neglect of a child after a baby in his care suffered third-degree burns.

Kevon Hayward, 26, of Babette Road, was reportedly watching the 1-year-old child on April 23 on Babette Road while the child's mother was at work. He told the mother the child burned himself on a space heater while Hayward was playing video games, causing third-degree burns on the boy's back and legs.

A warrant was issued for Hayward's arrest on May 8.

The child was taken to Augusta Burn Center for treatment.